Ojaekomo Family Raises Alarm Over Alleged Attacks on Lagos-Allocated Land, Calls for Police Intervention

 

The Centre for Public Accountability and Social Well-Being has raised the alarm over what it described as repeated attacks, alleged intimidation and destruction of property belonging to the Ojaekomo Family of Sapata Village, Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State.

The organisation, speaking on behalf of the Ojaekomo Family and its development partner, Shaffykay & Co. Property Limited, alleged that the incidents were being orchestrated by one Bashiru Fakorede and his associates in connection with a parcel of land said to have been allocated to the family by the Lagos State Government.

During a press conference held in Lagos on Wednesday, the group said the situation had escalated in the past week despite an earlier warning issued at a press conference on August 10.

According to the organisation, members of the Ojaekomo Family and Shaffykay were allegedly arrested and detained on what it described as trumped-up allegations, including claims relating to possession of firearms.

The group further alleged that some policemen attached to the Lagos State Police Command's SEB accompanied persons described as Fakorede's associates to the property, where members of the Ojaekomo Family were arrested.

It claimed that firearms were subsequently produced at the police command and allegedly attributed to the family members, but that the allegation was challenged following the intervention of a senior police officer who was familiar with Fakorede's antecedents.

The organisation also alleged that on Saturday, August 15, persons described as Fakorede's associates attacked the property and demolished buildings belonging to the Ojaekomo Family.

The Centre called on the police and the Lagos State Government to urgently intervene, warning that the continued escalation of the dispute could threaten lives and property.

Dispute Over Court Ruling

The organisation also rejected what it described as claims that a Lagos State High Court judgment had nullified the government's allocation of the land to the Ojaekomo Family.

It alleged that the interpretation being circulated concerning proceedings before Justice Ogunjobi was misleading, stressing that the Ojomu Royal Family was not originally a party to the suit between the Ojaekomo Family and Shaffykay.

The group maintained that an appeal had been lodged against the ruling in question and that an application for a stay of execution had also been filed.

It cited previous decisions of the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal on the implications of pending appeals and applications for stay of execution, arguing that parties should not take steps capable of frustrating the judicial process.

The organisation said the legal dispute should be resolved through the courts rather than through force or intimidation.

Calls for Investigation

The Centre urged the Inspector-General of Police, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Commandant-General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Lagos State Governor, Attorney-General of Lagos State and other relevant authorities to intervene immediately.

Among its demands are adequate security around the disputed property, investigation into the alleged destruction of buildings and forcible entry, and an inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the deployment and withdrawal of security personnel at the site.

It also called for an investigation into the alleged activities of Fakorede and others involved in the dispute, particularly where such activities could threaten public peace.

The organisation said the Ojaekomo Family remained prepared to pursue the matter through lawful channels, submit relevant documents to government agencies and cooperate with the police.

It stressed that while the family was not afraid of litigation and would obey lawful court orders, it would not accept what it described as attempts to replace the rule of law with intimidation or force.

The Centre appealed to security agencies to take preventive action before the situation deteriorated further, saying the authorities should act before any loss of life occurs.

"The time for preventive action is now," the organisation said, urging the authorities to restore peace and ensure that all parties submit their claims to the appropriate legal and governmental institutions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NUT Raises Alarm Over Abduction of Headmaster in Oyo, Calls for his Swift Rescue*

Alimosho Obas, Council Chairmen Meet APC Chairman Ojelabi Over Alleged Plot to Alter Reps Primary Result

Hon. Yusuf Adebisi Resigns from PDP Cites Internal Crisis: New Party Platform To Be Revealed Soon.